The Hayseed Knight is a fully voice acted visual novel where you’ll join a ragtag band of misfits as they try to piece together the story of how Ader, a one-eyed farmboy with seemingly impossible dreams, becomes the most celebrated knight the kingdom of Acazhor has ever known.
This gorgeous, animated visual novel unravels in unexpected ways with a perfect blend of mystery, comedy and romance!
- A grand, mysterious tale – Come, traveller, and listen to the tale of Ader-sind of the Upperfield! The greatest knight the kingdom has ever known! The bravest! The most handsome! The… yeah, no, let’s try this again.
- Choose Ader’s fate – Take care as you play, because your decisions throughout Ader’s tale will ultimately impact his relationships and decide the outcome of his story.
- Bursting with charisma – Every character you meet on your journey through Acazhor is fully voiced and overflowing with personality. Dodge prying questions from an enigmatic sorceress, scrape funds together for your next meal with a tune-deaf bard, engage in philosophical conversation with a giant tree man and more.
- Beautiful illustration and animation – Closer to a cartoon than simply a visual novel, every scene in The Hayseed Knight is hand drawn and lovingly animated to truly bring the characters and world to life.
- Passion project – Created primarily by one dedicated person over the last three years, The Hayseed Knight truly reflects the heart and soul poured into it.
- Unique fantasy world – With deep lore and a history all of its own, the world of The Hayseed Knight extends much farther than this story and is ready for you to dive into using the in game encyclopedia.
Drawing from Spanish XVIth century “picaresque novel”, the story plays as a satire on knightly and courtly tropes, with a twist— the heroic protagonist is exchanged for a go-getter that lies his way into legends, never telling a whole truth.
The story switches POVs every chapter, focusing on the misadventures of Ader’s friends as they deal with their own quests and worries.
Development for The Hayseed Knight started on August 2016, and has been on-going since.
A one person team, from art to writing, voiceover direction, animation and even sound design, Maxi or Sandra Molina (aka SandraMJdev) works full time on The Hayseed Knight, aiming to create an immersive story with beautiful artwork and memorable characters that even people who generally disregard Visual Novels will enjoy.
(If you want to learn more about me, my job, or how to contact me head over to the ABOUT page!)
THE FULL TEAM
Most of the external collaborations have been done with musicians and consultants, and they’re all accredited in-game, no matter the duration of their work.
The only recurring staff other than the French translator is the voiceover cast, and it includes and has always welcomed voice actors of all levels of experience, as my aim from the very beginning was giving newcomers a chance to add a high-profile paid project to their resume so that they may have a boost in their careers and confidence.
Full cast: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10928036/
VLC Indie Summit Selection 2020
Most Awaited Games 2019
Best Artistic Design
Women Make Games, 9th March, 2018
Best indie games 2017
Terebi Magazine, December 2017
“A project developed by a single young artist […] who managed to create a unique Visual Novel with its own personality which stands tall next to the most famous games in its genre.”
Carlos Rodríguez -VOLTIO (Original article in Spanish)
“An intriguing story, filled with strange creatures and a vastly detailed lore […] with an unexpected twist that will keep you on your toes.”
Benjamin ‘Red’ Beziat – Kayane (Original article in French)
“With colorful backgrounds and memorable designs […] This game breathes humor in its entirety, spinning a pseudo-romance that gives the plot an exciting kick.”
Ysora – Koukyou Zen (Original article in Spanish)
“Reads more like a psychological dissertation than anything creative.”
-A negative review
If you want to learn more about me, my job, or how to contact me head over to the ABOUT page!